Saturday 13 May 2017

Project: The Charity Shop Dresser

Husband has wanted a sideboard/dresser since we bought the house. He thinks they look awesome and there was one at home growing up that used to belong to his Nan ans Grandad.

Every now and then we like to visit the charity shops around Macclesfield. One time, we visited the AgeUK furniture showroom and on the way in, behind some picture frames we found this one. We loved it straight away! In addition to this, it was going for a MASSIVE £40.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Sold.


I think the previous owners had it living next to a window. The right hand side has been bleached by the sun over time. Most of the keys were missing and there were bumps and scratches all over it, probably from being moved around.

Step one: sand the beast down.

I did it by hand... it was difficult! But with help from my friend Cheryl and from Gaz, we got there in the end!



The most difficult part was sanding the detail without getting rid of it entirely. Oh, and then there was the sand dust... I'd recommend wearing a mask for those who are starting out like me. My lungs were not happy! I've already bought some for my next project....




Step two: Protect my hard work

I opted for matt Medium Oak varnish by Ronseal to finish the wood off. I love the colour of it - it reminds me of the furniture that my parents bought when we lived in Brazil.



Step three: The bit I was looking forward to the most


I have different colours of paint left over from bits and bobs  around the house and I wanted to use them all.

First, blue!



I also added some colour to the original detail.



And I added a touch of gold... 


And voila! 







No comments:

Post a Comment